Wednesday, March 20, 2013

SouthWest WIP



I thought I would show a short work in progress and explain some of the steps I go through with a simple digital painting.  The image above was drawn in SketchBook Pro and is comprised of 3 layers.  I started off with a paper texture from the internet to use as the background and then before I even had an idea of what I wanted to draw I began to experiment with brushes and colors.  After settling on the main color palette and value range, I began sketching with a marker.  Little by little the image started to present itself.  I then duplicated the paper layer, put it as the top layer and experimented with the overlay options to add a little texture to the rocks.  If you look closely you can see some experimental shading/highlighting on the distant rock formation - - more to follow.

No comments: